MARC U-STAR Program
A Multidisciplinary MARC U-STAR Program at UND
The MARC Research Scholars program at the University of North Dakota is an NIH-NIGMS funded research training scholarship program for high achieving (gpa>3.0) junior students who are majoring in the sciences (e.g., Psychology, Biology, Nursing, Nutrition, Engineering or Aerospace Sciences) and who have a goal to pursue graduate study. Our program is designed to support students through their undergraduate graduation.
Benefits of being a MARC U-STAR Scholar
MARC U-STAR Scholars receive a number of valuable benefits, including:
- 60% of tuition and fees paid during the Junior and Senior years
- Stipend of $1,114/month x 12 months
- Funds for Approved Travel to Scientific Meetings
- Academic and Research Advising
- Research Learning Community Activities
- Mentored Summer Research Experience (Paid Housing, Travel & Per Diem)
- Advisement for Applying to Graduate School
MARC U-STAR Scholar Expectations
MARC U-STAR Scholars are held to high academic and ethical standards. The following are the expectations and guidelines for MARC U-STAR Scholars at UND.
Academic Year Research Mentoring
- Scholars will spend Fall and Spring semesters working with a full-time research mentor. Scholars will interview 3 potential mentors for a potential match.
- Formal Research Mentoring begins the first week of October.
- The rate of pay is $1,114 per month, for up to 10 hours of work with a research mentor per week.
- MARC Scholars are expected to submit one peer-review manuscript for publication or give one Research Presentation during each academic year within the MARC U-STAR program.
Summer Research Experience:
- MARC trainees will spend 8-10 weeks working with a full-time research mentor during the summer months within a research intensive environment.
- MARC Scholars give one Research Presentation and submit one peer-reviewed manuscript for publication following the 8-10 week Summer Research Experience.
MARC U-STAR Team
These are the faculty and staff who facilitate the MARC U-STAR program at UND
- Glenda Lindseth, Ph.D., Program Director
- Brian Helland, MPA, Program Coordinator
MARC U-STAR Advisory Committee
- Ric Ferraro, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Naima Kaabouch, Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering
- David Delene, Ph.D., Department of Atmospheric Sciences
- Shanon Casperson, Ph.D., USDA Human Nutrition Research Center
This program is funded by NIH-NIGMS Grant 1T34GM122835-01 (06/01/2017 – 05/30/2022)