RAIN Financial Assistance
We recommend that RAIN students apply for financial assistance.
We strongly recommend that you apply for all available financial aid: PELL, BIA, Tribal, scholarships, loans, etc.
You should begin applying for financial aid in early January of each year if you are planning on attending school in the summer or fall. Most funding sources have application deadlines in March or April.
The RAIN Program provides assistance to students in applying for financial aid. Because the mission of the RAIN Program is to recruit and facilitate the success of American Indians in nursing, the program support services are currently provided to all American Indian pre-nursing, undergraduate, and graduate students regardless of financial need.
For further information, visit the UND Financial Aid website.
RAIN Program Scholarships
- RAIN Section 112 Scholarship offers a limited number of scholarships for American Indian students with evidence of financial need who are admitted to, or enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate nursing program at UND. The RAIN Scholarship is funded through IHS and will pay all tuition and fees for the academic year along with a 12-month stipend. All award recipients incur a service obligation to IHS upon completion of the nursing program.
- Gertrude E. Skelly Foundation Scholarships are funded through a private foundation and provides a limited number of ten-month stipends for American Indian nursing students at UND.
- Gertrude E. Skelly Foundation Assistance is funded through a private foundation, providing limited amount of financial assistance for American Indian nursing students at UND. Students must provide evidence of an unmet financial need for required tuition, fees, books, supplies, equipment, and various other miscellaneous required expenses associated with the nursing program. The amount of these awards is variable and is based upon the availability of funds.
- The National Society Daughters of the American Colonists RAIN Scholarship is for descendants of a man or woman who rendered patriotic or civil service to the American Colonies prior to 4 July 1776. They are a friendly lineage society with members working to preserve heritage and record history for future generations while serving our communities through Patriotic Education, Scholarships for American Indian students, marking historical sites, serving our veterans, and more. This Endowed scholarship provides annual support to students enrolled in the RAIN program.
- Max Bartlett Foundation Scholarships are funded through a private foundation, providing limited limited financial assistance for American Indian nursing students at UND.
- The UND Department of Nursing has numerous nursing student scholarships that are awarded annually.
To be eligible for RAIN scholarships, students must be American Indian students enrolled in a federally recognized tribe who are admitted to, or enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate nursing programs at UND. Students are eligible if they have already applied for an IHS Scholarship but were not awarded. Selection is based on financial need and priority is given to those students who are closest to graduation/class seniority. No scholarships are available for pre-nursing students.
Additional Scholarship Resources
- Indian Health Service (IHS) Scholarship is available for American Indian pre-nursing, nursing, or graduate nursing students. This is a very competitive scholarship. If funded, you receive a monthly stipend throughout the academic year, all tuition and fees paid, money for books and supplies, and tutorial assistance. All award recipients incur a service obligation to IHS upon completion of the nursing program. The RAIN Program strongly encourages all students to first apply for this scholarship prior to seeking additional assistance from the other scholarships available through the RAIN Program.
- ND Board of Nursing Education Loan is available through the North Dakota Board of Nursing.
- UND Cultural Diversity Tuition Waiver - Recognizing the educational benefit of a diverse student population, the University of North Dakota has adopted a tuition waiver program. Please note that this has become a very competitive process.
- Please visit the Indigenous Related Programs website for details about other opportunities, including HEROS, NDIEA, and NDIS scholarships.