Nutrition & Dietetics
As interest in nutrition has grown, so have the job possibilities for nutrition and dietetics graduates.
Our graduates are experts in the art and science of food and nutrition, and work in a wide variety of settings, including:
- Public health departments and federal, state, and community nutrition programs helping individuals and families make healthy foods choices throughout their lives.
- Hospitals and clinics, helping people recover from illness.
- Food service operations of schools and universities, government agencies, and nursing homes supervising the preparation of nourishing, appealing meals.
- Developing their own businesses or consulting services.
- Counseling pregnant women on making healthy food choices.
- Teaching parents how to plan nutritious meals and snacks for their growing children.
- Managing school food programs which feed hungry children.
- Educating athletes about nutrition and smart food choices to enhance their performance.
- Planning nutritious and enticing meals for older adults living in nursing homes.
- Involved in marketing, sales, communications, and technology.
- Research programs or teaching at colleges and universities.
Careers in dietetics and nutrition are limited only by the individual's imagination, education, innovation, and experience.
Outstanding Student Awards
The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics recognizes outstanding students for their exceptional contributions to the department, the University, and their greater community.
Student Leader Award
Outstanding Student Leader Award recognizes undergraduate students who have exhibited exemplary contributions through their leadership in- or outside of the classroom, personal integrity, and service to their student organization, the university and/or the greater community. All students majoring in nutrition and dietetics who are members of the Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics (SAND) are eligible for consideration of Outstanding Student Leader. The nominee does not need to hold an office in SAND to receive the Outstanding Student Leader Award.
Graduating Senior Award
Outstanding Graduating Senior Award recognizes seniors in each undergraduate degree offered within the department who are members of SAND, have exhibited academic excellence and are leaders in the department, on campus, in the profession of nutrition and dietetics, or in their greater community. Students graduating in May, August or December with a B.S. in Dietetics degree and a B.S. in Human Nutrition degree are eligible for consideration in their respective major.
Graduate Student Award
Outstanding Graduate Student Award recognizes graduate students in the Master of Science program in Nutrition who have exhibited academic excellence and are leaders in the classroom, work setting, the profession of nutrition and dietetics, or in their greater community. Students currently enrolled in the Master of Science in Nutrition courses are eligible for this award.
Wenberg Preceptor Award
The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics appreciates the voluntary commitment of preceptors who offer students invaluable experiences that prepare them for career success. The Wenberg Preceptor Award provides professional level support to valued preceptors and can be used in a variety of ways including professional development, workshops or specialty certification. Learn More and apply for the Wenberg Preceptor Award.
The mission of the Department of Nutrition & Dietetics is to engage critical thinking of students and professionals in order to optimize nutritional health through evidence-based teaching, research, and service.