Nutrition & Dietetics
The mission of the Department of Nutrition & Dietetics is to engage critical thinking of students and professionals in order to optimize nutritional health through evidence-based teaching, research, and service.
Career Opportunities in Nutrition and Dietetics
As interest in nutrition has grown, so have the job possibilities for nutrition and dietetics professionals. Our graduates are experts in the art and science of food and nutrition, and work in a wide variety of settings, including:
- Public health departments and federal, state, and community nutrition programs helping individuals and families make healthy foods choices throughout their lives.
- Hospitals and clinics, helping people recover from illness.
- Food service operations of schools and universities, government agencies, and nursing homes supervising the preparation of nourishing, appealing meals.
- Developing their own businesses or consulting services.
- Counseling pregnant women on making healthy food choices.
- Teaching parents how to plan nutritious meals and snacks for their growing children.
- Managing school food programs which feed hungry children.
- Educating athletes about nutrition and smart food choices to enhance their performance.
- Planning nutritious and enticing meals for older adults living in nursing homes.
- Involved in marketing, sales, communications, and technology.
- Research programs or teaching at colleges and universities.
Careers in dietetics and nutrition are limited only by the individual's own imagination, education, innovation, and experience.
Outstanding Student Awards
The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics recognizes outstanding students for their exceptional contributions to the department, the University, and the community.
- Outstanding Student Leader Award recognizes students who have exhibited exemplary leadership skills through their service learning efforts, campus involvement, and commitment to student and professional organizations.
- Outstanding Student Awards recognize students who have maintained a 3.5 or better GPA and have been recognized
as leaders in the department, campus, or community.
- Outstanding Human Nutrition Senior Award
- Outstanding Dietetics Senior Award
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award
Wenberg Preceptor Award
The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics appreciates the voluntary commitment of preceptors who offer students invaluable experiences that prepare them for career success. The Wenberg Preceptor Award provides professional level support to valued preceptors and can be used in a variety of ways including professional development, workshops or specialty certification. Learn More and apply for the Wenberg Preceptor Award.