Project Setup and Modification
Pre-Award Costs/Temporary Project Set Up
It is necessary to have a UND project number established before the execution of the final award document.
This process will include the following:
- The Principal Investigator's name
- The proposal title
- The sponsor's name
- The anticipated award amount
- The projected start date of the award
Common types of award modifications include carryover requests and no-cost extensions.
Some external sponsors do not allow automatic carryover of unspent grant funds from one budget year to the next. If this is the case, a project with unspent funds at the end of a budget year must request a carryover of funds to the next budget period.
This written request is called a "Carryover Request" and must include the following:
- An appropriate scientific justification
- A plan for the use of funds
- A detailed categorical breakdown of the unspent funds, including F&A costs (if applicable)
- A copy of the final expenditure report
- In many cases, if the dollar amount is significant (typically 25% of total current year costs), an explanation of why the funds were not fully expended in the prior year may need to be included.
Carryover requests need to be reviewed and approved by UND Research & Sponsored Program Development.
Sponsored projects contain a project start and end date provided at the time of the award. If the project end date needs to be extended due to reasonable circumstances, a request for a no-cost extension will need to go to the sponsor. A no-cost extension is an Award Modification extension of a project end date without additional funding.
Here are some examples of reasonable circumstances that may require an end date extension:
- Additional time beyond the established expiration date is required to ensure adequate completion of the initially approved project.
- Continuity of sponsor grant support is required while a competing continuation application is under review.
- The extension is necessary to permit an orderly phase-out of a project that will not receive continued support.
UND Research & Sponsored Program Development should review and approve the no-cost extension. Depending on the agency, the request will be submitted appropriately.
Should the request be approved, the sponsor will formally amend the award notice containing the new end date and a revised final reporting schedule. These final reports will change based on the revised end date.
There may be limitations on the sponsor's ability to offer grant extensions; therefore, it is not guaranteed that the request for a no-cost extension will be approved.
The fact that funds remain at the expiration of the grant is not, in itself, sufficient justification for an extension.
No-cost extension requests must be made at least 30 days before the project ends.
Once a sponsored project is approaching its end date, specific options and procedures will help bring the project to an orderly and successful completion. No routing form is needed to close a project.
Procedure to Close-Out Sponsored Project
- Review the budget for funds available. If the amount remaining will be enough to cover the completion of the project, and the project is scheduled to be completed on time, proceed as planned. If the amount remaining is adequate, but the time remaining is not, a no-cost extension may be available. Please get in touch with CNPD Grants Management to help you proceed with this end-date extension. If the amount remaining is not adequate, or if particular budget line items require adjustment, please get in touch with CNPD Grants Management to clarify the necessary procedures. If the amount remaining is substantial, and it appears that you will have a significant balance at the end of the project, please get in touch with CNPD Grants Management to clarify the necessary procedures.
- If you are awaiting a no-cost extension or next year’s award notice, please get in touch with CNPD Grants Management to complete a memo requesting that this project be switched to a “temporary” status until the receipt of the no-cost extension or award notice.
- Submit purchases for them to be processed before the project termination date.
- Review all outstanding orders. If there are potential problems regarding delivery, payment, or acceptance of the items, please get in touch with CNPD Grants Management.
- Review any outstanding encumbrances to ensure they are paid in full or returned to the available budget for the final payment of any other unpaid expenses.
- Review all Subcontracts to finalize payment within deadlines.
Ensure all final reports, including the final progress report, are filed by the due date. UND Grants & Contracts Accounting will submit the final financial report.